Friday, December 23, 2022

Chiang Mai - The Restaurants

 Hi! I took a 4 day trip up north to Chiang Mai and had a wonderful time! There are several aspects to this trip which were rewarding. One of which was - the food!

Thailand is known for its street food. You can find it everywhere! But also, I am experiencing the restaurants and tasting new foods.

There were 4 or 5 new food experiences that I had up in Chiang Mai. This first one was close to where I stayed - in Old Town. 






The first restaurant was called “The House”. and “Ginger Shop” This is a Michelin star restaurant so I wanted to try it. 


This gives you a little taste of the ambiance of this place. French style. Very charming!








And as you can see from the photo, I ordered a sampler so that I could try several local specialties. The long skinny things are spring roll wrapped shrimp with a dipping sauce. The green stick things are a type of branch from a bush. So fresh, green, crunchy and deep fried. Also with a dipping sauce. The little pouches had crab meat in them. The square stacked things consisted of a little meat and I think nuts, placed on top of a piece of pineapple. The little bit of red on top was a chili. The little bowls had a flower leaf with nuts and green onions. It was all delicious! I also had a drink with fresh apple, ginger and I think mint. The soup was lotus and pork and onions in a meat broth. Wonderful!


This restaurant is called “Arum - A Vegetarian Restaurant”. It is really on a back street. My taxi driver  couldn’t get all the way down this alley to the front door! But the food was very good!


They called this “crispy herbs” and it was a deep fried leaf that you ate with dipping sauce. 



Here is a little of the ambiance of this gun vegan restaurant.




We had this platter of leaves with nuts, onions and noodles (I think) and also had stir fried veggies and a coconut curry vegetarian soup. We were very full and satisfied. Everything was wonderful.


The Rabbit was the name of this vegetarian restaurant I found out walking one night. 



I had eggplant parmigiana with a bearnaise sauce and a fabulous salad! And some non- dairy coconut ice cream 

I would highly suggest venturing out and enjoying the local cuisine there in Chiang Mai! 

No comments:

Post a Comment