Saturday, March 28, 2015

Food 'n France

Food 'n France

So, I have to say I was a bit surprised when I checked out the food scene here in France. When I was here many years ago I remember many foods with incredible sauces. That's what the French are known for, right? Well, here is my experience, so far, on this trip.

First of all, there are patisseries


 and chocolatiers


everywhere and most of them are incredible. There are still "some" small meat markets



and fruits and vegetable stores.


Still, most everyone still seems to stop by the local "supermarket" at around 5:00 to pick up what they will be eating for supper. 





And, the French still get their baguettes, it looks like, daily, and eat them, (without butter, Americans!)


but what has changed is this - at a lot of the restaurants around my neighborhood, which is a middle class neighborhood, well young urban professionals, have something different on their menus. Guess what that is?

Hamburgers and French fries! And, pizza!

I was in an Italian specialty store the other day and was asking the owner if she could tell me where a good authentic Italian restaurant was and we got to talking about the relatively new trend of hamburgers and fries and pizza. She was kind of shaking her head about this too. I guess it is that we all want to have what the other parts of the world have. So, it's pizza and hamburgers. You know, I haven't tried them here yet. Maybe they have a French spin on them!



No comments:

Post a Comment