Saturday, May 16, 2015

Ephesus, Turkey #7

Ephesus, Turkey #7

Boy, was this a hard one to write! I have taken notes on so many of these incredible cities and this one I am going on, by heart!
 
The first thing I did was go through the pictures and pick out which ones I'd like to share. Difficult problem! I tend to take a lot of pictures anyway, but on this city, I went crazy.
 
Troy and Pergamon were the first two sites that we visited but I think I am not the only one that felt like history really came alive visiting this site.

We walked in through the turnstyle and and straight ahead we were met with pieces of ruins. Then
the amphitheater and then it just kept getting better and better!  You turn to the left
and walk by the now familiar, shopping district that, again, consists of a roadway with pillars on each side, then shops on the outside of them. See the statute to the right? I would assume each of those short pedestals originally held full sized figures on them. How beautiful this walkway was! And we get to see a piece of it!

These clay tubes are the pipes they used for the aqueducts
and everywhere you look, there is beauty!
Look at this carving. I believe this is Mercury.
I am afraid that I will misquote who this is but it is, I believe, one of the Gods.
 
This is the city gate. To your left is the stadium and the shops that I have shown you before.  Now we are moving towards the center of town. The chariots can only come up to this entrance.

There are chariot marks in the stone streets. That entrance I just showed you is to our backs. We are now going down to the center of town.

Look at the well-preserved tilework! Isn't this incredible!!!


and the beautiful stone carvings and construction!
T
These are the men's bathrooms and it has 40 seats. In front of the seats is a water trough to dispose of the waste. You can see that it is a "U" shaped building. There was a spot in the middle for musicians to entertain the men while they were "on the potty".


This incredible building is "The Library". Funny story - across from the Library was a "house of ill repute."  The men would go to the Library, and there was a tunnel that lead underground to "the other place."
This was an "advertisement" by one of the ladies advertising her services and saying that if you want "love" I am the one with the long 3rd toe!
I never did get straight the difference between a coliseum and a stadium but heading out the other end of town was this coliseum/stadium where Paul the Apostle addressed the Ephesians in biblical times. The acoustics are perfect! Now they hold concerts there.

What did I tell you! Isn't Ephesus incredible!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment