Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Montfavet, outside of Avignon, France and Restaurant Le Bistrot, June 20, 2015

Montfavet, outside of Avignon, France and Restaurant Le Bistrot, June 20, 2015

I have been out of town for about a week and out of communication for about 2 weeks because some friends from the U.S. came and we hung out in Paris then drove to Barcelona. I stayed on, myself, then came to Avignon - French Provence!

I am staying in a little town called Montfavet, which is right outside of Avignon but not close enough to get into Avignon without a Taxi or knowing the bus system - in French!

So, I am trying to call a taxi company and, by the way, they don't speak English, and tell them where to pick me up and my apartment isn't in the normal taxi stop locations.  

I am staying in a furnished apartment with regular neighborhood "stuff" around so I go to the restaurant right next door to my apartment and ask if anyone speaks English. One guy there speaks up and says "Yes!" 
Well, that one guy is Sebastien, the "Director" of the restaurant, (we call them managers in America), and I tell him my predicament. He immediately gets on the phone and helps me get a cab and describes to the driver how to get here. My hero! But it doesn't stop there. He also gave me a drink while I was waiting and kept calling the taxi company to make sure that they were, in fact, coming, and then when the finally arrived (and he ended up calling another taxi company to make sure I got picked up!), he spoke with the drive to make sure that he would take good care of me and that I could get a taxi back to my apartment! And he made sure that I had a taxi to pick me up on Sunday to get to the train to get back to Paris. That's 3x he was my hero!

Then, (there is always drama in life, isn't there?) when I was booking my train back to Paris I saw that the last train to Paris left before my taxi was going to pick me up on Sunday so I had to make other arrangements. So, I called Sebastien. He saved the day - again!!! 4x times my hero!!! HE, personally, drove me to the train station on Sunday morning (his day off!) OF COURSE I PAID HIM WELL! What a prince he was! He saved me!!!

Well, on Saturday night I told him I would come back from Avignon and eat dinner at his Bistro. The food was fantastic!
 
 
 
First, all guests get small toasts with a delicious olive spread. (Sorry! I already took a bite. Yum!)
 
 
Then I ordered the sampler because my moto is "I better try it now because I don't know when I will get back here again!"
The sampler has a mini scallop "burger with a lemon citrus sauce, a wonderful salad, (you haven't lived until you have tried real Dijon French dressing!), A foie gras pate (I normally would say that I don't like that but it was delicious!), a goat cheese with carmelized onion, (great!),  the last one I can't remember but I think it was a white fish, like bass, with a sauce and slices of fresh apple on top. so creative!!
 
 
 
I asked Sebastien about the desserts and this one is a chocolate with, I believe, hazelnuts inside. And of course, their signature "B" for Le Bistrot.

 

I had mint tea to top off my dining experience.

If you look out into the background of my photos you will see that it is light outside. I had dinner at around 8:30 pm. It doesn't get dark here until around 10:20 p.m.!!  So you have lots of time to enjoy your evening dining experience!

Thank you Sebastien and Le Bistrot! You are a special memory for my trip to Montfavet!

No comments:

Post a Comment