Saturday, June 27, 2015

Provence, France - Gordes, June 20, 2015 (I learned about the varied tastes of many differnt olive oils and bought 3 very different types here)

Provence, France - Gordes, June 20, 2015 (I learned about the varied tastes of many different olive oils and bought 3 very different types here)

 
This is Gordes. It is over 2,000 years old. When we stopped to take pictures coming into the city, this site took my breath away. It was magnificient! I cannot show you how incredible this view is in 2 dimensions. You need to be there. The Romans occupied this area at one time.
 
 
The homes in this town are all one color. That creamy beige color. Also, the homes in this area are multi-million dollar homes.
 
The views up here on the hill are spectacular! This area is known for its "Le Mistral" or, the winds. It is windy a lot so the air is clear, and fresh, a lot! A very desirable place to live.
 
Here is an olive grove growing by the side of the road.

 




There are also beautiful landscaped yards along the way.





I think I mentioned in a former post that I went on a tour of Provence when I was in Avignon. There are 4 directions to travel outside of Avignon, and I went to the east. There are 3 villages that I visited and Gordes is one of them.
This is a well where they used to draw water for home use. If you look closely, you can see 2 metal rails coming out from the fountain to the wall of the fountain. These were used because the vessels to carry the water were very heavy so the person gathering water could rest the vessel on the rails while filling it up. 


Here is my wonderful tour guide, Benoit Vincent of Avignon-PrestigeTours (Avignon-prestigetour.com).
He knew exactly what sights I wanted to see,
where to take the best pictures,
where to taste and purchase the best olive oil. I tasted 3 kinds of olive oil. They all had completely different tastes and uses. I only knew of one taste and one use for olive oil before!
 
Benoit really knew his trade and I was very grateful to have him guide me through this beautiful and amazing countryside!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment