Thursday, April 23, 2015

Copenhagen - Hans Christian Andersen's Hometown

Copenhagen - Hans Christian Andersen's Hometown
Again, a big learning curve! I arrived last night at around 10:30 p.m. The Hotel was listed as being the first exit off the Metro near the airport so I said to myself, what the heck? When I got off the Metro, which by the way, only took 5 minutes to get to my destination, I looked around and realized I was going to need a little help getting there so I called the owner/manager, Tine and she gave me directions to get there. It was about a 5 minute walk to her hotel.
 
Tine, the owner came outdoors to make sure that I made it in okay and felt comfortable.

 Ocean is a beautiful B&B with a cozy atmosphere and environment.


 
I spent one evening in this lovely living room trying to catch up on this blog. Tine has such a sense of taste and hospitality. I really enjoyed my stay there and felt like she was my "friend" and saw her treat all the other guests the same way. Tine asked me if I had a plan to view the city. No, I didn't. So, the next day I figured it out as I went along.

Day 2 -
So, going down to breakfast at my hotel I met a wonderful couple from Germany, Sabina and Hagen. Hagen is a

minister. They live in a town between Cologne and Born (I hope I am spelling it right!). We talked politics, the economy, the difference between Europe and the US - you name it. It was their last day. It was my first. They rented bikes for their adventure into town. Great idea! Nearly everyone rides bikes in Copenhagen!

When I got into town I decided the best way to see this town was to hop on one of the red double decker buses so that is what I did. As we were driving along, not long after I boarded the bus, the driver spoke about a great art gallery called the new Carlsberg Glyptoteket. It is described as "an amazing art collection, one of the best in Denmark and a must see for all art lovers." Well, I wasn't disappointed. I saw . . .

 "The Thinker" by Auguste Rodin 
 
"The Kiss"
 
and
 
"The Three Graces"
 
Among many others. The bus driver said I would need about 5 hours just to absorb all there is to take in at this gallery and he was right. I spent about 3 hours then, at his suggestion, I ate lunch in the aboreteum there. Look at the view I had!
 
and as you see, a couple wanted to have their wedding pictures taken here.
And why not? It's an incredible place for wedding pictures!
 
 So, let me show you around town.
 
Of course, there are beautiful fountains!   
 


These apartments were actually barracks for a group of military called "The Lifeguards", named so because they protected the lives of the monarchs.
 
This is Copenhagen's National Museum which tells the history of Copenhagen since the ice age.
 
This is Copenhagen's yacht harbor
 There are many cruiselines that call Copenhagen their port of call

Here is a beautiful Anglican church

And here is where the in-crowd hangs out! By the water!
And what blog of Copenhagen would be complete without a picture of The Little Mermaid!
 
Farewell Copenhagen!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment